Monday, July 31, 2006

This and That...

When I was taking theology classes, I wrote a critique of an article in America Magazine about whether economic justice was possible in a capitalist/free market economy. The gist of the article is that it is possible if we all get our fair share. Should CEOs be well compensated for their time and ability? Absolutely. Do they need to have $10 million salaries and bonuses and stock options, and company cars and all those other perks, while their employees are barely making a living wage? Absolutely not. Should corporations be able to make a profit? Absolutely. Should their profits continue to increase to record levels at the expense of the consumer? Absolutely not.

I was reminded of that article in this weekend's gospel (it was the loaves and fishes from...John, I think - though it seems like it should be Mark. Sigh. Guess I should look it up, but I'm too tired). You all know the story, so I'm not going to recount it. But what made me think of that article was the fact that after everyone had had their fill, there were 12 baskets left over. My pastor touched on that aspect in his sermon, but didn't go into it much (his sermon was really good, but I'm not going to write about that now). Maybe it struck me because of my current situation, but I never thought of that before in that reading.

There are two wasps' nests hanging from the roof of my slab. Just thought you should know.

My ankle is better. I spent the better part of the last three days stretching the Achilles tendon every chance I got, and it helped. It must have just seized up whent he dog bit me.

I really want some chicken. And chocolate. And pancakes. And a daiquairi (which I still can't spell). Oh, and some scrambled eggs (which I haven't voluntarily eaten in years). And bacon. And maybe some jambalaya. And an eggroll.

Yeah, I'm hungry.

What else...Oh yeah...

I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!!

It was just orientation stuff today, but it was wonderful. And I actually got to do some writing on a real proposal this afternoon. And it really is casual and offbeat (guess that's what happens when you have a company full of geeks). But the work they do is incredible.

I can't wait to go back tomorrow. I don't know the last time I said that.

No comments: