Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Preparations

So I'm trying to get ready for this interview tomorrow. I've found some things I can print at Kinko's tomorrow morning (watch my cartridge come right before I leave for my interview). I'm searching my apartment desperately looking for the black jacket I know I have somewhere (even if it is hotter than hell - tomorrow is supposed to hit 95). And I have decided to wear the red blouse - since I am wearing makeup, I shouldn't look too washed out. Then it hit me.

I don't have any shoes to wear.

Now, you may be scratching your head saying, "She is wearing black - how hard can it be?" Answer - very.

See, I have bad feet. Horrible feet, actually. I inherited my dad's width, fallen arches, and calluses; my mom's length, ingrown toenails, and strangely skinny heels; and I have my own multiple broken bones and partially torn Achilles tendon. Finding shoes I can wear and that are comfortable are like finding the holy grail.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from buying shoes that don't fit and aren't comfortable because they go with a particular outfit or they look good. As TG so eloquently wrote, the lust for cute shoes runs through me as it does through every woman. I have lots of shoes, but no dressy, skirt-compatible black ones.

Oh, I have a nice pair of black, square heels that would look pretty good, but I may have to park pretty far away from the building, and I'm afraid I won't be able to walk in them. Yes, I am aware I should have though about that before I bought them.

I have a cute pair of black sandals, but they just don't work for an interview.

I have a pair of black flats that would work with slacks, but not a skirt.

And I have a pair of black Birkenstocks that are my everyday shoes (sandals are normal every day shoes down here), but they just aren't acceptable for an interview.

I have been looking for a pair of black, flat dress shoes in a 9.5 wide that will work with a skirt for about three years now. I have yet to find them. I have, however, found areally cute pair of tan canvas mules that I probably spent too much money on a few months back. Oh, and I bought a pair of white, strappy sandals that I wore to a wedding and haven't worn since because they don't have enough support. I looked good that night, though (I also wore the skirt that was falling down on Monday. It looked good, then).

So I still don't know what shoes I'm going to wear, and I still can't find my jacket. I still need to go to Kinkos and spend way to much money to print stuff. And I lost a box of macaroni and cheese somewhere between the shelf this morning and the stove this evening.

On the plus side, this place employs a lot of geek types. If I get hired, perhaps I can find geek love. You know, where you whisper sweet lines from Monty Python in each other's ears, share a passion for all things Star Trek, and write each other little notes reminding each other to tape Stargate: Atlantis.

No comments: