Sunday, July 09, 2006

Dogs on Bikes

Well, I tried on the skirt I plan to wear for my interview tomorrow. I bought in March and I haven't worn it since April. Well, it's too big. It's almost too big even with my hips. The pants that came with it don't stay up at all. The jacket never did fit right (I have T-Rex arms, apparently), so that doesn't count one way or the other.

I am happy about that, but I'd be happier if I could afford to buy new clothes that fit.

When I write my rant against the public education system in this country, you will find that a big part of my ire is directed toward standardized testing. But having said that, I am glad to announce that this fall I have a part-time job rating constructed response answers on standardized tests for ETS, the great evil of the testing world. I'll work about 20 hours a week, and make $18 an hour. It's a good little gig for this English major. If there are any other English majors out there looking for a little extra spending money (you can work as few as 10 hours a week), let me know and I'll send you the info.

Oh. I saw the strangest thing tonight. I was driving back from Taco Bell (I had to satisfy my craving for Nachos Bellgrande), and this guy on a bike almost rode right in front of me. Now that's not strange; in fact it happens at least twice a day in Baton Rouge - it's a big bike town. The strange part was what was on the back of his bike. He had what looked like one of those white, plastic, snap together shelving systems with two levels attached to the back of the bike, and on each of the shelves, there was a little dog harnessed in. The dogs looked perfectly happy and content, and in fact I think one of them was sleeping (it yawned, anyway).

That just really amused me, and I thought I'd share.

I think that after my interview tomorrow I'm going to go to CC's and nurse an iced tea for a few hours and write. I really need to get out of the house. I'm starting to annoy myself.

Oh, one other thing I just noticed - the stove in Joey and Chandler's apartment on Friends is the exact same stove that was in my apartment in Pittsburgh. No wonder they never cook. You have to light the pilot light manually every time you use that stove.

I suppose that's all for tonight. I need to try to sleep early tonight, so I'm sure to get up in time tomorrow. I think I'll set the alarm on my cell phone. It's the Star Trek red alert noise. The first time I set it, it nearly scared me half to death and I smacked my head on the nightstand and fell out of bed.

No comments: