Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Five Favorite Gifts

A slightly less cynical holiday meme.

1. The tea set I got from a neighbor when I was around four or five. I wrote about it before - I'll see if I can find the entry and link to it later.

2. Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees. My godmother got me this book for Christmas when I was in first or second grade. It was my first chapter book. I remember getting yelled at several times for turning the light back on to read on the night I got it. I couldn't put it down.

3. The year when things were really tight financially at home, and I got a game, a couple candy bars, a turtleneck, and some Snak Pak pudding. It was a really good Christmas because it was just me, my mom, and my dad, and we made the best of a tough situation.

4. Not Christmas, but for my 9th birthday I got a brand new softball glove. My old glove was a really, really old hand-me-down, and it was being held together with embroidery floss. We had to fix it after every game and practice.

5. A pewter cross necklace all the boys in the Kirk House went together to get me my last year. They wanted to make up for the fact that in the previous two years gift exchanges, I had gotten 1) overdue library books, a stolen mug, and a "Jennifer" key chain, and 2)nothing at all because the boy who had me "forgot." It was really pretty and unique, and I lost it when I moved after selling my parents' house. I've looked diligently for something similar, and I haven't been able to find it.

No comments: