Friday, November 30, 2007

Cynical Holiday Meme

This is the Friday Five on a group blog I sometimes read but don't participate in. In my sickness today, and my hatred of early holiday celebration, I'm participating today.

Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....

1) dessert/cookie/family food
The really cakey sugar cookies with thick, sweet icing the grocery stores sell around every holiday. They always show up at group lunches and junk like that this time of year.

2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)
Don't really have one of these, because I don't drink any seasonal beverages. Never liked eggnog (don't understand the point), don't drink beer, I think hot, mulled wine is gross.

3) tradition (church, family, other)
My current congregation has the sunday school Christmas program take the place of regular worship on the 3rd Sunday of Advent. I really love Advent, and I especially like the third Sunday (Gaudete Sunday). The kids are adorable, but I don't want to celebrate Christmas that far before its time.

4) decoration
Anything really gaudy. And there are folks around here who excel at gaudy.

5) gift (received or given)
I wrote before about the year I was in college when the housemate who got me in our gift exchange gave me his overdue library books, a mug he took from the kitchen and keychain with the name "Jennifer" on it, so I won't repeat that. In retrospect, the gifts my aunt used to give me really sucked - not because of what they were, but because of the utter lack of sentiment behind them. Before I got too old to be given gifts, I'd get a few little things she picked up cheap at the flea markets and auctions she went to, her Leggs pantyhose eggs, and her old catalogs. This, while she'd give her other nieces and nephews really nice stuff. My uncle always slipped me some money, though as we were leaving, I guess because he realized how unfair my aunt was (she did all the shopping for their household).

BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it.
Answered this one earlier this week: "Frosty the Snowman"

No comments: