Sunday, November 25, 2007

What a Miserable Day

It has been raining since about 4 a.m., and it isn't supposed to stop until sometime tomorrow. And it's just cold enough to make the rain really miserable.

Nevertheless, I did make it to church today, with a whole minute to spare. It was good, as usual, but sometimes I wish our congregation was slightly bigger. I like the small congregation, but sometimes it just makes me sad.

Oh, and today we sang Andre Crouch's song, "Soon and Very Soon (We are Goin' to See the King)," and appropriate song for the feast of Christ the King. We sing gospel songs and spirituals quite often, owing to the fact that we are a multicultural parish (three whole African-American families, which is about as diverse as traditional churches get in the deep south) and because some of them are really powerful and moving. Every time we sing one, I look around the church and listen, and I'm always struck by the fact that we sound like...

A roomful of middle-class white people with roots in the midwest.

What did you think I was going to say?

No comments: