Sunday, June 04, 2006

So. Lots to say, maybe.

First, TG wrote a very empathetic comment to my last post. And you know, this whole career thing just gets to something deeper. I'm going to be all controversial now. Just wanted to warn you.

You know, various sources keep talking about how important it is that everyone go to college. Well, you know what? Not everyone needs a four year degree. There I said it. By insisting that everyone have a Bachelor's degree, we've made jobs that used to require a high school diploma require a BA or BS. Then of course, jobs that required a BA or BS now require a Master's.

Part of the problem is that vocational education has virtually disappeared. It used to be that you could come out of high school with the beginnings of a trade. You could take office skills classes, or plumbing, or, in some districts (Pittsburgh included), cosmetology, or whatever. But, thanks to cuts in funding, vocational education has all but gone the way of the dodo.

Now, instead, every organization on earth is telling average students that they have to go to college. As a result, college classes have been watered down, and a bachelor's degree isn't what it used to be.

That's all I'm going to say about that. You can tell me what a horrible person I am in the comments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not going to say as much as I though I was going to say, but I will say this. The Big Guy has a way of making sure you hear what you need to hear when you need to hear it. The sermon at church this morning, in a nutshell, was all about trusting God to be God and letting the Holy Spirit work though you. I need to hear that. I've been trying to manipulate the Big Guy, and make Him over in my image instead of the other way around. But, "letting go and letting God," as the cliche says, is a lot easier said than done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and I guess I gave up on the professor a little too soon. Got an e-mail from him today.

1 comment:

tomzgrrl said...

I don't think that's controversial.

I DO think that I'm in the opposite situation. My boss went to the vocational school around here. Started at my company at age 16, as a design/drafting co-op. Hired in at 18. One semester of college and she quit school.

Now, at age 25, she's the supervisor of 8 other people. She's never had a job interview. Never taken a writing class. Never had any business or accounting classes.

She CAN'T read the budget. Calls me in to write her emails. Doesn't know how to handle HR issues. Comes in 20 minutes late every day but asks US to stay late so she can leave on time. (Her kids being somehow more important than ours.) In short, she is in WAY over her head.

And I report to her.