Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Thoughts on Old and New

So here we are in a brand new year.

2008.

I've written before about how, in 1080, the year I turned 9, I thought 2000 was forever a way, and that 29 was older than dirt.

This year I'll be 37. Officially in my late 30's.

29 looks so good now.

2007 was an interesting year. I had surgery for the first time ever. I grew into my job. I got myself off of the anti-depressants. I went through some angst after going off the anti-depressants.

I fell behind on my own writing because work took up so much of my time. I've had a bit of a...down slide in my spiritual life, partially because of work and illness, partially because of...something else.

I got into the habit of eating out an awful lot. My thyroid fluctuated an awful lot, as did other hormone levels. I craved food that was horribly bad for me when my hormones were off. I had food poisoning for the first time, thanks to the company Christmas party.

So, what am I looking forward to in 2008? First, I want to cook at home more often. It is healthier and less expensive.

I want to work more on The Great American Novel, and the The Greater American Novel, especially the first. It's been on my mind a lot lately.

I want to try to make it church on a more regular basis, even when I'm not feeling up to it (mentally, I mean - not physically; I won't get other people sick.).

I plan to feed myself more intellectually and spiritually. I realized after the post I made last week sometime that for me, itellect and faith are directly connected. I think that's why I grew so much in terms of my faith during my college years, when I was learning so much about it intellectually. I will write more about this stuff later. But I will say, that, thanks to LP's suggestion, I found some online, credit classes I can take without being in a degree program, and that I can afford. I'm hoping that if I can learn some theology from the Lutheran perspective, I'll be less intimidated about getting involved in ministries in my congregation, which is something that scares me right now. (I know, I know - it isn't logical. I'll write more about where that insanity comes from later.).

I want to find homes for the two semi-feral cats I seem to have adopted some how, despite the fact that I am allergic to cats and can't actually give them any attention beyond food, before my building is torn down. I don't think these cats can hunt on their own, at least not for more than lizards and bugs, and I'd hate to think of them dying as a result. I guess they can go mooch off of the rich folks in the overpriced condos that are going up next door, though.

I want to get over my fear of car dealerships and get a new car as soon as possible, but not until at least March. More likely May.

I want to introduce some bill in some legislature that gives some kind of advantage to single people. While I believe in the importance of families, single people get really screwed on a lot of fronts, especially taxes. I also want to move forward with my plan to make President's Day the single people's holiday. We give up time off around Thanksgivng and Christmas, but by golly, we should get to take extra time off around President's Day to...to...sit around our homes and watch daytime TV!

I would say that I want to make higher payments on my student loan, but if I have to buy a car, that isn't going to happen.

I want to team up with TG and mount a challenge to the official spelling bee people on behalf of everyone, everywhere who has been cheated out of a spelling bee win because of bad pronunciation, foreign slang words, and other injustices. I don't quite know what good it will do, but I want to do it anyway.

I guess this is all I have to say. These aren't resolutions, really, because I don't believe in them. They are just things I'd like to see happen in the coming 364 days.

Have a happy January.

No comments: