Monday, January 07, 2008

I am never...

...going to a car dealership again. Ever. I mean it. I'll drive my little Plymouth until I can't drive it anymore and then I'll walk everywhere, or learn to ride a bike.

First of all, the salesman was fine, though he had me start signing papers before I was ready to sign papers. I loved the test drive - the Honda Fit is an awesome car for a little car.

Then I had to go talk to the finance lady. That's where everything went downhill. First of all, I'm pretty sure she included a bunch of stuff in the financing that I don't want, but she wouldn't show me an exact financed amount and how it broke out. She kept talking about extended warranties, and credit protection, and gap insurance. And while I definitely want gap insurance, I don't necessarily want it from Honda. What if my insurance company can give me a better rate? And I don't want the extended warranty. After 3 years, I'd rather take my chances, or purchase an extended warranty then.

So the numbers I was seeing were a whole lot more than I was anticipating, and I based that on a much higher interest rate than what was showing there (we're talking about $100 more a month). I could technically afford that payment, but I don't want to commit to something that is going to stretch me to the financial breaking point without some serious thought and consideration. I told the woman (and I use that term to be polite - I'd like to use something stronger), that I wasn't going to sign any finance papers today, that I really need to think about whether or not I can take on that much additional debt and still be secure enough to live. It's not like I was buying a cheeseburger at McDonald's, after all.

Well, that's when she started pressuring me. She started saying things like "What difference will a few more days make to your decision" and "What will change if you walk out of here with nothing and think about it" and "Look, you know you need a car - your's is useless. This is the best you are going to do. Just sign."

Well, I don't do well, when I am being pressured. I told her that I didn't appreciate the hard sell and that I was planning to go somewhere else. I also kinda started crying involuntarily. She left and went to get the salesman, who said that they didn't mean to pressure me, and that of course I could take some time to make a decision.

I felt so condescended to with the financing lady. I know I have blemishes on my credit report. That's what happens when you have medical bills and make $9 an hour. And I know I've never financed a car before. But that is no reason to treat me like I am stupid or a child. I am an adult. It is my money and my life. If I need time to make a decision that big, I need time. And frankly, if they want me to ever be a customer, they need to respect that.

I swear, I'd rather just keep putting the money in my piece of crap that to do that again. It was miserable, and I hated every second of it.

And I hate myself for being so weak as to cry in there because I felt pressured. This is why I should never do anything ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Car dealersips just suck, don't they? I always wish I could just save up the money to pay them cash so I would not have to talk with their finance guy (or gal). It hasn't happened yet, though. Maybe one day!

I had a friend who was in to buy a car. The salesman took the keys to her car that she was going to trade in for a new car. Then he would NOT give the keys back to her when she didn't like the final deal and wanted to leave. He would dangle them in front of her and then snatch them away as she'd reach for them. This was a long time ago, and I hope that such juvenile behavior is long gone by now. You never know, though. People are not always as mature in their behavior as their chronological age would indicate.

Sheryl

LutherPunk said...

I know it is quite a hike, but there is a CarMax in Jackson, and they are the easiest car dealership in the world to deal with. Also, try doing financing in advance of going. I used Capital One auto finance after my divorce and it was a pretty easy way of going about it. They still were able to be about 1% lower on the interest rate than the dealership was. I applied online, and they basically sent me a check with a limit on how much it could be. It took a lot of the hassle out of the deal.

Anyway, sorry you had to deal with this. Too bad you aren't in North Carolina, I could send you to my father in law who works at a dealership and has everything done before we even get to the lot.