Saturday, January 19, 2008

Election Report

I know, I know. I said I wouldn't get political much here. And this isn't about politics as much as it is about elections.

So far, in all the elections and caucuses (except for Iowa), the voter turn out for young voters has been less than 20%. That makes me angry.

I remember in the 1988 election, I was sooo angry that I missed being able to vote in the general election by 6 months. I couldn't wait to take part in the democratic process, no matter how flawed it may be. And then, for the next primary (which in non-presidential years is in May in PA), I was so excited that I got to vote. My birthday was a week before the elections. I don't think I've ever had a prouder moment than I did when I pulled those levers for the first time. John Heinz was the first person I voted for for US Senate.

This country is facing so many challenges. It's more important now even than it was 19 years ago to educate yourself about the issues and vote. Yet young people are staying away from the primary in droves. It's sad, really. And it makes me worry about the future of our country and our world.

No comments: