Saturday, October 14, 2006

So yesterday I was trying to find a recipie for corn chowder that is in a cookbook I can't currently find. I found it, but in my search, I happened upon a recipe for crockpot apple cobbler. I made it, and it was good, but cobbler is really a bit of a misnomer. It's closer to an apple crisp, I think. I've included the recipie below, along with my modifications, and what I plan to do next time I make it.

  • Apples

The recipie calls for eight apples, but I used 10: five Granny Smith, four Braeburn, and one Mcintosh that I bought by accident. That's a pretty good mixture of sweet and tart.

  • Butter

The recipie called for 3/4 of a cup, but I used a full cup. Might have been a skosh too much - it was a little richer than I would have wanted. You could substitute margerine if you wanted to, I suppose, but why would you?

  • Sugar

The recipie calls for 1 3/4 cups, and doesn't specify what kind. I used right around two full cups, half brown and half white. I think I would probably go a little lighter on the sugar as well

  • Cinnamon

The recipie says a teaspoon, I say the more the better. I love cinnamon, so I put a lot of this in.

  • Granola Cereal

The recipie says 2 cups. I used around 3. I bought plain granola, but the instructions suggested fruit and nut granola. I don't like nuts, however, so I bought plain.

Peel and cut up the apples. I used a mixture of slices and chops, mainly because I'm really bad at cutting things. Toss them in the crockpot, and mix them together with the sugar and cinnamon. Now, the directions say to melt the butter and coat the granola, but I didn't do that. Instead, I cut up the cold butter into pieces and mixed it in with the apples and sugar. I don't think it really makes a difference. Then put the granola in and mix everything up. Cook it on low for about 6 hours.

It was really good, but with the texture, it would be best suited as a topping for ice cream or waffles or something like that. What I did when I served it was to mix in more granola. That gave it a little more heft, and a little bit of crunch.

I think if I make it again, I will only put a cup of the granola in at first, and then put the rest in about an hour before it is done. It needs some in there when it is reducing to thicken it up, but it basically disinegrated.

I'll share the corn chowder recipie a little later.

Crockpots are a good thing (or they would be if I didn't keep breaking the crockery. I have three pots, but only one crock.)

No comments: