Thursday, August 03, 2006

The check engine light came on in my car tonight. Now, I'm 99.9% sure it's just because I need spark plugs and wires, mainly because that's what they told me I needed last time it came on, and I never actually got around to getting them (and that was over a year ago).

Now, if I have to take it to a mechanic, none of the ones around here will do just spark plugs and wires without a tune up, and none charge less than $200 for a tune up. I won't be able to afford that until October.

But, if I buy the plugs and wires, I can do it myself for about $50. I can borrow that until I get paid if I have to (I'll get them to put the little diagnostic thing on the car again - the auto parts store down the street does it for free), and I can borrow a wratchet wrench from my friend J's husband. The question is, how brave do I feel? I looked up the directions on the net, and it doesn't seem that hard. But mechanical stuff scares me a little bit.

I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and let you know what I decide.

If you care.

On the plus side, I no longer thing my transmission is bad.

1 comment:

Tim said...

If you decide to try to change your plugs and wires be SURE to do them one at a time. You might already know that but if you pull them all off then try to replace them you'll have a grand mess figuring out which goes where. They have a firing order and if you get them crossed your car won't start. I don't know what kind of a car you have but also check your gas cap and make sure it's being put on tight enough when you get gas. That will cause the engine light to come on too.
Glad your job is going well!
- Tim -