Thursday, September 28, 2006

One of the things I really regret in my life is that I never got to have an adult relationship with my parents. They went from being my mom and dad to being people I had to take care of. When I see my friends interact with their parents, I really am jealous of them. Even if they are arguing, they are doing it as fellow adults, with no one in the dominant position. I never got that.

Now, I don't regret having to do the role reversal thing at an earlier age than most. I loved my parents, and I would have done anything they asked me to. I even offered to transfer to a college closer to home, but they wouldn't let me.

I've been thinking about that lately because I see friends around my age having to face those things now. And even though it's difficult, they are so much better equipped to deal with it than I was at 21. I honestly believe that, beyond the maturity factor, it's because they were able to get to know their parents on an adult level. It may sound cold, but I think that being able to have that...change in status, I guess, gives you a chance to be more objective. They had the chance to get to know their parents without being dependent upon them. For me, one minute I was asking my parents for money so I could go to the movies on the weekend, and the next I was having to help with transfers, do all the shopping and cooking, and other things I choose not to mention. There was no transition. And all you English majors out there (who seem to make up most of my readership) know that without transitions, things get rocky.


~~~~~~~~~


On a completely unrelated note, I'm still without a car. The transmission guy hasn't started working on it yet. He said he may be able to get it done tomorrow, but Monday is the more likely scenario. I really hate this. My current ride won't stop at the grocery store for me, so I'm down to ramen noodles, unless I order pizza like I did tonight. Plus she smokes. She does open her window, but she also opens the sunroof, and the smoke that goes out the window just comes right in the sunroof. I hate smelling like smoke all day.

No comments: