Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I had the weirdest dream. It actually woke me up, and I've been up for about an hour now.

I don't remember all of it, but apparently I was working on some kind of student newspaper. I was not an editor, but I seemed to be doing an awful lot of the editorial functions. The editor-in-cheif was my boss at the Evil Empire (my last job). I vaguely recognized the other two staff I really saw, but they seemed to be more composite characters than anything else.

Well, EE Boss gathered the whole staff together (there were an awful lot of people for a student paper), and confronted me about buying myself new dishes, when I had two perfectly serviceable, unmatched plates I could use. She called me a hypocrite for spending my money on something so frivolous, and asked me what I had to say about it. I said that the dishes only cost $15 dollars, and that I really needed them (the dishes actually cost $25 in real life, if you are interested). She went on to goad me into a confrontation by telling me that if I was such a hypocrite, buying new dishes when some people didn't even have food, then I didn't deserve to be on her staff.

Well, I blew up at that. I told her she had no right to judge me, and I told her that I had done far more that what my job description entailed. She asked me, "Like what," and I responded by telling her about all the editorial dutites I did, and how I never complained that I was doing that despite the fact that I was not an editor, and I told her about how I had to retype one co-worker's articles because she refused to use a computer, and I fussed about how some other people could take a whole day to just write the text of an editorial cartoon, but I got yelled at for taking too long if it took me more than an hour to do a whole layout. Well, EE Boss forced me to name names, so I pointed out the two people who I vaguely recognized. She then basically forced a confrontation with them, in front of everyone else. So I got into an argument with them, which eventually led to me telling EE Boss, that this conversation should have taken place in her office behind closed doors.

Now, I don't quite know what it all meant, but I think it was my subconscinence's way of confronting the various facets of my personality, while also getting a dig in to EE Boss for having a personnel conversation with me with a co-worker present, which was very unprofessional.

I need to think about this some more.

No comments: