Monday, August 27, 2007

This is an interesting article about children with reading difficulties. And it is absolutely true.

I wonder if anybody has ever researched whether or not the same is true for math. Logicially, it seems like it would be. And it would explain a lot in my own life.

I could count to a hundred before I started preschool, but I had trouble writing numbers. Then in first grade, I had trouble learning basic facts. By second grade, when I had to deal with multiplication and adding/subtracting multiple columns, I was lost. I struggled with math all the way through to fifth grade, when a fantastic teacher (Mrs. Mikush - I hope you Google your name and find this!), helped me figure out how to manage things. Even after that, though, I had to struggle with the basics. I understood the concepts, but I couldn't execute the actual work.

No comments: