Sunday, August 12, 2007

So, I hate the heat and I hate grocery shopping. So what do I do on the hottest day of the year in Baton Rouge? I go grocery shopping, of course. (It was actually a degree hotter yesterday - 104, but 103 is almost as bad).

So I went to the Albertson's that is usually the good Albertson's, in other words the one not close to my house. They have peaches on sale this week for $0.99 a pound. Peaches are my favorite fruit, except for cherries (which I apparently can't eat anymore because I discovered that they do incredibly nasty things to my digestive system - but that's another story). The peaches at the good Albertson's were horrible compared to the ones at the close Albertson's, so I had to settle for nectarines. Not nearly as satisfying.

Then I was going to get a couple pieces of fried chicken for dinner. I don't indulge in it often, but I've been craving it. Well, it smelled like they had some, but when I got into the store, the case was empty. The deli lady had cleaned it out. It wasn't even 6 p.m. yet. They usually have chicken until at least 7.

And just to top things off, they were out of the yogurt I like. The only good thing was that Stouffer's frozen things were on big sale.

So I finished my shopping and did the checkout thing. I left the store, and could see from the exit that someone was kind enough to leave their cart right behind my car after they loaded their groceries. If you don't feel like taking your cart the whole 10 feet to the cart return, fine, but have the courtesy to not block someone else in.

Well, I get to my car and go to put my groceries in the trunk. Wouldn't you know, one of my bags broke and a container of cranberry juice fell out. Of course, it didn't make it the whole six inches from the cart to the trunk, where it wouldn't have broken. No, it fell on the concrete and broke open. I suppose I could have gone into the store and complained and gotten a new bottle, but it was hot and I was tired, so I didn't bother.

So now I had two carts to take to the cart return. Could I get the one of the carts to slide into the other? Of course not. So I had to struggle with two carts, while at least two people (one of them a store employee) watched me. When I got back to the car, I walked through the cranberry juice, which made the bottom of my shoes slippery, which made me slip on the blacktop when getting into the car which made me bruise my butt.

Oh, and when I left for church this morning (yes, I made it, and I'll write about it tomorrow, maybe), I discovered that a flock of diarrhetic birds who I though had left didn't really leave, and apparently decided to rest in the tree above where I parked last night. My car got soaked in bird crap for the third time in the past 10 days. And the really sad thing is that on the days when I didn't park under the tree, nobody's car got crapped on. When I did park under the tree, my car was the only one that they chose to target.

Yeah, I'm cranky a little. I wish it were December so we'd finally see daytime highs below 80.

No comments: