Saturday, January 06, 2007

Shall I share my Saturday with you? I think I shall.

Well, it took me a while to get going today. Saturday is my slow day. Though lately most days have been slow days. I think that's because my thyroid is low again. I'll find out on Monday, I guess. Anyway, regular readers know that I don't have cable, which means I watch a lot of PBS on the weekends, because, well, the sports that are on the other stations are boring usually (though if a good basketball game is on, I'll sometimes watch that). So on a 20 year old Cajun cooking show, I saw a recipe for a shrimp casserole that looked really good and that I think I'm going to make tomorrow. If it turns out as good as it looks, I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

So when I finally got going, I went to Target to buy laundry detergent, which I actually forgot to buy. I did, however, buy bandages, a T-shirt in a really cool shade of blue, an umbrella (finally - we are entering rainy season here), and a cheap bottle of wine (Arbor Mist Sangria Zinfandel. It's one of my favorites, goes good with seafood, and is only $4 a bottle here). When I got to the register and checked out...I GOT CARDED!!! I haven't been carded since I was in my 20's. I know the guy was just following the rules, and I know I'm a young looking 35, but it still made me feel really good. I thanked him for carding me and left with a smile (but without my detergent. Sigh).

Then I went to Shoe Station to buy new tennis shoes. I've been buying Nike since I was in college. They generally fit well, don't rub in weird places, and have good arch support. I couldn't find a 9.5 wide, and I'm tired of 10's sliding off my heels. So I took a chance and bought New Balance. They seem to fit pretty well, so we'll see.

Oh, I bought socks at Target, too. Just thought you should know.

Then I decided to go get Chinese takeout. A place near where I just to work has a dinner special where you get two different entrees, rice, and an egroll for $6.95. Their food is pretty good, too. And their lunch special is only $3.95. Just thought I'd tell you in case you ever find yourself in Baton Rouge at lunch time. Well, I didn't end up going there. Instead, I went to Whataburger. I wanted onion rings, I ordered onion rings, and I ended up with fries. Sigh.

Still, though, between teh shrimp casserole and the carding, it ended up being a pretty good day - even if I don't have detergent.

Tomorrow I am supposed to go to lunch with the young adults at church. I don't know if I will. I think I'm in a different place than they are now. I wish we had another fellowship/spiritual/learning opportunity available that was more...age neutral. All we have is a Bible Study, but that happens during the day, so it is mainly retirees. Then there are the church ladies who make baby blankets, which is also during the day, and also mostly retirees. My pastor has talked to me about leading a book group at some point, but it is so hard for me to commit to a given time right now. My job has me working weird hours. We shall see.

No comments: