Sunday, January 07, 2007

The casserole turned out really well. Here is the recipe, along with my modifications.

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper

These three ingredients are in pretty much every recipe in Louisiana. They call them the Trinity. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere where you can pick up Creole mix, I recommend substituing that. It has all of the above, but also parsley and garlic. And you don't have to chop anything.

1 lb peeled raw shrimp

I know this tends to be pricey for those of you in the North. You can use the frozen ones, however, and that is a little less expensive. I recommend medium shrimp, but that is entirely up to you. I bought frozen myself this time, because shrimp season is just about over and the pickings were slim.

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup

I chose instead to use a family sized an of cream of mushroom soup. I think cheddar cheese soup is a crime against nature. I did add some mozzarella crumbles, though. I like that.

Cooked rice

I chose to do noodles instead. Kind of an upscale tuna noodle casserole. I didn't cook the noodles, figuring they would cook in the sauce in the oven. If you do this, I would recommend adding some water, too.

1/4 cup of margerine.

I used butter instead of margerine partially because I like it better, and partially because it is slightly better for you than margerine - no transfats. If you wanted to be really healthy I guess you could use olive oil or canola oil, and a little less of it.

The directions say to sautee the first three ingredients and the shrimp in the butter in a large saucepan. I would recommend using a skillet instead. I think you would get better heat distribution that way. Plus, it's easier to stir. I also added some mushrooms and broccoli at this stage because I like them.

When the shrimp turn pink, turn off the heat and stir in the mushroom soup. I also stirred in half the cheese. Then stir in the rice or noodles. Transfer all of this to a 13 x 9 pan. If it isn't nonstick, you may want to use some Pam. I put the other half of the cheese on top, along with some mushrooms. Since I used uncooked noodles, I covered it with tin foil to keep the steam in. Bake it for 30-40 minutes at 350.

That's it, really. Though I did forget to say to use salt and pepper to taste. It really is quite good.

I'm also making soup tonight. I'll let you know how that works.

No comments: