Sunday, December 31, 2006

So here we are in the waning hours of 2006. What a year it has been.

At the beginning of the year, I lost some illusions I created about myself and my life, and gained a sense of perspective about myself (thank you world's greatest therapist).

As the year progressed, I lost some respect for the company I was working for (herinafter known as the evil empire), and gained some not so nice knowledge about some people I had considered friends.

Mid year, I lost my job with the Evil Empire and regained my sense of self, which I had sacrificed to the corporate gods.

Soon after that I lost my unemployed status and gained the best job in the world, where I actually get to use my degree (thank you monster.com).

Two very good friends lost parents this year, and I lost my last living aunt. Not much to be gained there.

My car lost it's transmission and gained a rebuilt one (at the cost of $1200, which the transmission guy let me pay over 6 weeks - thanks, Kenny!).

I lost momentum with the Great American Novel (Advice from Uncle Betty) and gained momentum with the Pretty Good American Novel (either Love at the Deli Counter or Steak with a Side of Life and yes, I am still horrible at titles).

I lost interest in one hobby (crocheting) and gained interest in another (quilting).

OK. I'm stretching it now.

So I'm ringing in 2007 with cranberry soda and a huge salad, followed by pretzels and sparkling apple cider consumed from a Santa Claus wine glass at midnight. This is the time of year I am most homesick for Pittsburgh. No one here goes outside in their pajamas and winter coats to bang pots and pans at midnight. I can't find a New Year's pretzel anywhere in town. I even drove to two different bakeries with German names. They looked at me like I was nuts when I asked. But they had king cake already, and it isn't even epiphany yet. Sigh.

Well, I guess that's it, except that I'm ending the year the way it began - with a staph infection. Sigh. I can't reach my dermatologist until Tuesday. But I may avoid it even then - I see my doctor next Monday.

Happy New Year, all. May 2007 bring health, happiness, peace, prosperity, Grace, and gratitude.

No comments: