Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Holiday Memeage

From LP's Blog...

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Definitely Hot Chocolate, between these two. My current favorite hot drink, though, is Chai Latte from CC's

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Always, always wraps them.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

Growing up, we did colored, but in my old age I have come to like white better.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Nope. Don't decorate at all, now. Because if I decorate, then I'll just have to undecorate later, and where is the fun in that?

5. When do you put your decorations up?

When I was a kid, it varied. It could be as early as the first weekend in December, or as late as a couple days before Christmas. The year my dad died, my mom and I didn't put the tree up until Christmas morning. Of course, it stayed up until Easter, but that's another story.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

It was, is, and every shall be cranberry sauce.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?

How excited my dad would get about Santa Claus. Way more excited than I did.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

Umm..5th grade. I found the microscope I had asked for and a sweater hidden in my mom's closet. Yes, I know I shouldn't have been snooping. Pretty much everyone I knew found out the truth earlier, and I played it cool around them, but in my heart of hearts, I still believed until I found those things.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Some years we opened all the gifts on Christmas Eve, some years none. It just depended on the mood everyone was in.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

We had lights, tinsel, and ornaments, most kitschy ones from the 60's and 70's. Underneath the tree was our little Nativity. We also had a big Nativity that went outside. I gave the baby Jesus my lovey when I was wee little because I thought he'd be cold. It stayed in that crib my whole life.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?

Used to dread it, now I miss it.
12. Can you ice skate?

Heh Heh Heh. Are you insane?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Absolutely. When I was around four or five or six, I desperately wanted a tea set. I don't quite know why, but I did, and I told everyone on earth that Santa was going to bring me one for Christmas. Well, my parents didn't have a whole lot of money, so they told me that Santa might not be able to bring it because he had an awful lot of boys and girls to buy presents for. I never lost my confidence, though, that Santa would come through. On Christmas morning, one of our neighbors (an older couple whose children were grown and had no grandchildren) brought over a box that he said Santa left at their house by mistake. It was wrapped in blue paper with snowflakes on it. I opened it up, and there was the tea set to end all tea sets. It had absolutley everything, and it was made by Corning. I was sooo excited. Later on, when I realized that they went out and got me that tea set, I got an even better gift - I learned about generosity and seflessness.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

I'm not really big on the holidays now that I spend them alone, but my favorites when I was a kid was when it was just me, my mom, and my dad. I loved just getting to spend time with them.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Has to be pumpkin pie with whipped cream, though Dutch Apple comes a close second. In our house though, cranberry sauce made a fine dessert for me, my mom, and my uncle. My dad and aunt hated it, though.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Playing cards or board games after dinner.

17. What tops your tree? For most of my life, we had this weird, blue obelisk kind of thing. It was tacky, but fit with the 70's well. Later on, my mom bought a light-up angel and a light-up star at some holiday sale. One went on top of the tree and the other went in the center of the wreath.

18.Which do you prefer giving or receiving?

Don't really have a preference

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Religious: Probably Silent Night. Non-religious: Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas, for reasons that no one here would understand.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

Depends on my mood, the brand, and whether or not they are fresh.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I really like the story about the tea set, and I'm with you on pumpkin pie... I eat as much of it as I can because we only have it at Thanksgiving and Christmas.