Sunday, November 16, 2008

So this morning I decided I was going to make beef stew. Actually, I decided it yesterday, because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have had anything to make it with.

So I cut up the potatoes, counted the baby carrots (which I don't actually eat, but they give good flavor), put in the rest of the ingreditents, turned the Crockpot on, and went to church. The stew was supposed to cook for 10 hours on low.

So I got home from church about 5 hours later (Sunday school, service, and shopping), and was surprised I couldn't smell the stew cooking when I came in the house. I went into the kitchen, looked at the stew, and it hadn't cooked at all.

I forgot to plug in the Crockpot.

Fortunately, it was a cold day here in BR, and I turned the heat off before I left for church. The stew got off to a late start, but it was worth it.

1 comment:

tomzgrrl said...

In much the same craving, I made swiss steak -- which is thinly cut (mine was about 3/8 in thick) round steak dredged in seasoned flour, browned, and cooked with lots of onions and butter, then covered with water/broth and simmered for 2 or so hours on the stove top. I served it with egg noodles and carmelized fennel and button mushrooms. And sourdough bread. Nothing too green or vegetable-y, but very tasty.