Monday, May 28, 2007

This article was interesting to me only to show how times have changed.
 
My high school yearbook had  a picture that was taken at a "Calculus Party," a gathering where the students in Calculus (there were only 12 of us) got together to supposedly study for an upcoming test. The picture showed a 2-liter bottle of Peps, a fifth of vodka, a fifth of Whiskey, and a case of Coors Lite. I only went to one of these parties. When I saw the alcohol present, I called my dad to come get me. I wasn't taking any chances on anything screwing up my shot at scholarship money. Yeah, I was a goody-twoshoes.
 
The year book also had a picture of a cake the drill team made for the football players. In the corner of the cake, it says, "P.S. Where's the keg?"
 
Now, no parents raised a fuss about that, or about the text in the senior section that talks about running from the police at Sheraden park (or Dunbar, or Crafton - can't remember which now - all three were (and are) heavy teen drinking spots)
 
No parents raised a fuss about any of that. And if they did, it certainly didn't make even the local news, let alone the AP. (Though if you ask nicely, I'll tell you about something my archnemisis SR did to call attention to herself that did make the local news - witch with a captial B that she was).
 
Don't know if parents getting up in arms about this is a good thing or not. On the one hand, it shows that they are actually taking an interest in their kids and their lives. On the other hand, it shows that parents are holding on to their kids's hands a lot longer than may be healthy, and not letting them have a little bit of a subversive subculture that teens have always had, and that I think helps them to gain their independence
 
Meh. Something to think about.

1 comment:

LoieJ said...

Kids are way more dependent and way more independent that "we were" back in the dark ages. I'm talking 60's here.

With the cell phones, they can call and ask very "dependent" questions instead of figuring things out themselves. Even at college, almost everyone has a cell phone, whereas we had one phone for a whole hall full of girls so we hardly ever talked to mom and dad.

But they are in more activities and lots and lots of kids get to drive, even their own car, all the time all over the place.

And because of two parents working and/or single parent households, kids are home a LOT unsupervised.

So it is both HOT and COLD regarding independence. The break starts earlier, but lasts longer.