Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I've written before about how important Mother's Day was in my immediate family. It was a great, big [Insert Groovy Last Name Here] celebration for the three of us.

This year marks 15 years since my dad died (April 15 - guess I'll never forget that date) and 13 years since my mom died (June 28). I will be 37 years old on Tuesday. They have been gone for almost half my life, which seems crazy to me, since I was just in college last Tuesday (well, it feels that way, anyhow).

I'm not going to write anything deep and profound about how I miss my mom most acutely on this day, but how it's the little things in every day life that make me miss my dad. I'm not going to write about how I am about to be older than my mom was when she had me (she was 36). I'm not going to write anything.

To the mothers out there, happy day. Enjoy your kids, no matter what age they are, because time passes to quickly.

To the kids, appreciate your mother while you can. You'll be glad you did when she is gone.

That is all.

No comments: