Monday, May 19, 2008

Dear Mr. Lemeiux (and any other members of the Pittsburgh Penguins organization)

Hello there. I am a loyal, if long distance fan. I grew up in Pittsburgh, fell in love with hockey in 1984 (like 3/4 of your fans), and have been following you ever since. I got to go to a few games when I was in high school and college, but then ticket prices got to be too much after the two Stanley Cups, so I just followed from afar.

Now I'm really following from afar. I live in Louisiana now, which is not exactly a hockey hotbed. While there are a large group of Pittsburghers down here, the sports bar where we usually meet for Steelers games doesn't even carry the network that has been carrying the playoffs. Thank goodness for the internet.

So here is the thing. If Dallas pulls off the unthinkable and beats Detroit, I would dearly love to go to a playoff game in Dallas. I will wear my black and gold, and scream until I am hoarse (which wouldn't take much since my thyroid surgery last year - my voice still isn't right).

The problem with this plan, however, is that even in Dallas, tickets are really expensive. The cheapest I found were $200. When you factor in the cost of gas, a hotel, and all that jazz...well, going to a game becomes just a fantasy.

So here is where you come in. If Dallas beats Detroit, it would be super peachy keen if you would supply me with a ticket to the first game in Dallas. I'd drive myself there and pay for my own hotel and other expenses. I just need help with the actual ticket.

The way I see it, this is a win-win situation. I get to see an actual championship game (none of the schools I ever attended were ever good enough to get very far in the playoffs) featuring my second favorite sports team (sorry, but the Pirates will always have my heart first - I'm just not holding my breath for them to ever make the post season again), and you get good PR . I still have lots of friends in the Pittsburgh area, and I would sing your praises loudly to all of them, and to the folks here in the deep south. Hockey will never surpass college football as the favorite pastime around here, but those of us who are fans do our best. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could claim a whole contingent of fans in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?

Think about it, Mr. Lemeiux, et. al. I'll be patiently waiting by my computer for your response.

Sincerely yours,

Sheryl

No comments: