Friday, March 28, 2008

I sometimes wonder if growing up not-well-off will skew my perspective on money forever. I fret over spending money I have on things I need, but I'll spend little amounts on stuff I don't but that I like.

Perfect example. I need a new pair of summer shoes that are not tennis shoes or Birkenstocks. I love my Birks, but they just aren't dressy enough for church, for example. I found a pair I like, the look nice, they are comfortable, and they are $30. Now, I can afford $30, even though I just spent $70 on a new pair of tennis shoes (I have bad feet. I can't get away with cheapies with shoes I wear every day). But I've been spending the better part of the day agonizing about whether or not to buy them. Don't even get me started on my new car issues.

But I'll buy small luxuries without even thinking about it, like a vase I wanted to add to a collection I have, or an art card. Added up, these things are more expensive than the shoes I need more than want.

Sigh. My parents did a lot of good for me, but they really screwed my up where money is concerned. Of course, the jobs I had after college that barely paid more than minimum wage didn't help, but still.

No comments: